Do you know that having a cat at home can be good for your health? There are a lot of condominium owners who wish to have their own cats at home. Thankfully, there are more and more developers who are starting to understand that pets also deserve to have a home.
Tips for Living with a Cat in Your Condo
Living in a condominium means that your cat is going to be an indoor cat. There are some advantages to this:
- It lessens the possibility that your cat is going to get hit by any vehicle.
- This can prevent your cat from meeting and mating with other cats that may have some contagious diseases.
- An indoor cat will be less likely to find another cat to fight with and will not get pregnant unintentionally. You can deter other cats from entering your home by using cat deterrents.
Of course, this means that your cat is going to get a bit bored unless you will do things in order to make it a happy indoor cat.
- Find the right cat food that will allow your cat to get all of the daily nutrients that it needs. Gone are the days when cats would need to hunt outdoors just to get some of the meat they need for their diet. A lot of cat food now has all of the daily nutrients your cat need. You can alternate wet and dry food. You can also create homemade cat food for your cat. There are recipes available online.
- Find some toys that will allow your cat to have fun for hours. There are different things that cats love to do. They would feel the need to pounce and strike from time to time. They would do this if they have the right toys to use. Use toys that will allow them to run speedily until they are already happy with the exercise they have received.
- You can consider having another cat. This can be tricky because there are some cats that are just inseparable from the first time that they meet. Yet, there are also some who hate each other on sight. You can introduce a new cat to your cat and see if they would hit it off. If yes, they will be happy with the companionship.
- Allow your cat to stay safe. You may be in a high-rise building and even if cats are known to be good at surviving when they fall from high places, they are still not indestructible. Make sure that your balcony will always be closed. You should also make sure that the cat cannot access windows and other places that may cause it to fall.
- You should have all of the right tools that will allow your cat to be comfortable inside your condominium. If you have more than one cat, they should have separate litter boxes. They would not want to share just one.
Do you think that you are ready to live in a condo with your cat? It might seem hard in the beginning but you and your cat/s will get used to it.
A cat is not really just a cat as is commonly perceived. Cats are different ad thus there are many factors that should be considered to make sure that you end up with the best cat for your needs. Since the cat will be part of your household, you should choose wisely. It is not like an item like a cloth that you can always get rid of when need arises. It will need your attention and affection in the long-term. Some of the things to keep in mind when looking for a cat for your home include:
Choosing The Right Cat for Your Home
Age of the cat
It is important to define your needs as far as the age of the cat is concerned. There are those who will prefer kittens while there are those that will prefer adult cats. Kittens are adorable and nice but they are not best suitable in an environment with kids since kids are not friendly with them, they are likely to pull their tails and ears. With kittens you also have to be ready to do the training otherwise it might not be a smooth sail. With some adult cats however, all they do is sleep and they are not very active. There are also those that are not very social. It will depend on what you are looking for.
Length of the fur
Cats have varying length of fur; there are those that have short fur and those that have long fur. It depends on your household and if you have anyone who has allergies when it comes to fur. It also depends on your willingness to do grooming. Long haired cats are normally higher maintained as compared to their counterparts.
Just like humans, cats also have different personalities. Even though a cat may be from a certain litter or a certain breed, it may not have the same personality with its fellow. There are cats that are very social, there are those that will only socialize when they want to; there are those that are not social. Most of the time however, the personality is influenced by the breed.
When cats are compared to dogs, cat breeds are fewer. If you are particular about a certain breed, then you should do your due diligence to make sure that you end up with the right breed. It is good to keep in mind that in some instances you will get pure breeds while in others you will get mixed breeds. It is good to remember that there are some breeds that are prone to certain diseases. Mixed breeds are most of the time versatile since they have a wide gene pool as compared to a pure breed. You should therefore look for a good breeder to advice you accordingly.
If you have other pets at home you should consider them before bringing on board a new member. In some cases they may blend in well and in some cases they may not, it all depends.
Finding the right cat is not as hard as it has been presumed; all you need are the right tips. Visit kittywise.com for more.