How important is it to protect your intellectual property? when you open a startup, you wouldn’t want someone to come and steal your idea and make it theirs, even benefiting more from it than you. Companies like Google, Microsoft, and Apple have gone to lengths to protect their intellectual property and have been highly successful. At the same time, we have seen other startups like Facebook and Twitter that saw very little use for protecting their intellectual property. It can be a very expensive venture, one of the reasons why people would rather start the startup and work on protecting their IP later when they are sure the business has a bright future. In this article, we are going to take a look at some of the ways of protecting your intellectual property.
- When patenting, think of how important it is to others and not just you
- Knowledge is key, and you should educate yourself, and your team on the basics of trademarks, copyrights, patents, and trade secrets. This will ensure that you’re always in the know
- You can conduct your own IP searches with a Google patent search at google.com/patents to reduce costs when patenting
- Working with an intellectual property attorney would probably be the best solution, and go for a fixed rate to file
- Save money by looking for cheaper IP attorneys from different geographical regions, since they are just as good and you could save up to 50%
- Aside from patents, you should audit all your registered and unregistered trademarks and copyrights
- In all your dealings, make sure that you have well-written non-disclosure agreements (NDAs). Such dealings include employment agreements, licenses, sales contracts and technology transfer agreements
- It is important to act fast with your patents so as to hold your place in line. They take up more than five years to issue
- Investigate international patents to check for competitors
Rogers DVS LLC
There could be situations where people steal or use your intellectual property without authorization. In many cases, this will end up in courts as you look to stop them and have them compensate you. This is where RogersDVS.com come in. They assist in IP, patent, trademark, royalty audits, and copyright damages, business valuation, and trade secrets. They provide IP and patent valuation services during the entire dispute resolution process, including: pre-filing assessments, discovery assistance (document requests and deposition and cross examination support), damages assessment, expert witness testimony, and alternative dispute resolution services. They also the appropriateness and quantity of damages awarded to the plaintiff, assuming defendant is found liable.
They understand lost profits through demand, absence of non-infringing alternatives, manufacturing capacity and marketing capability, and profit loss amount. They also determine profit loss to ensure that you get the most out of the case.
It is important for every individual and business to protect their intellectual property and retain their ideas. This will prevent other people from benefiting from their ideas without rewarding them. In the event of copyright infringement, they should contact suitable law firms to assist them, such as Rogers DV.